Sunday, September 14, 2008

Happy Anniversary, "Summorum Pontificum..."

Being the first anniversary of the promulgation of the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, I decided to visit a classmate of mine in the JCL program who lives at a parish (St. John's) just across the river in the diocese of Arlington. They have the Extraordinary Form Mass there. Talk about nice! They had a solemn high Mass to mark the feast. The pastor was the celebrant, and the two associates served as deacon and subdeacon. I forgot to ask what Mass the choir sang, but it was impeccable. Mass lasted nearly two hours. I was one of four priests (including my classmate) who attended in choir and helped distribute Communion. Even with five priests distributing, Communion took a good twenty minutes. The attendance was good among the laity, and the pastor preached a great sermon (very "Bishop Sheen-esque"). All-in-all, it was a great way to honor the anniversary of the motu proprio.


One interesting note, however. The church there was built in the 60's and is a "church in the round." I have to say, I never imagined a Tridentine Mass in such surroundings, but have to say that it was done well. Wish I had a picture to include, but this will give you some idea: