Thursday, February 25, 2010

Upcoming Visit to the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei"

Fellow Ultramontanists, next week I will be travelling to Rome with my class from here at the university to make a visit to several of the dicasteries of the Holy See. We will be visiting a dozen or so of the dicasteries which are of particular importance to our studies. Each office will be presenting to us their work, addressing pertinent issues relating to our future work with canon law. We had an opening on our busy schedule to add another visit, and our professor who is organizing the trip asked for suggestions to fill out the schedule. I figured, what the heck, how about the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei?" Well, lo and behold, we received a fax yesterday that they would be pleased to meet with us! Exciting!

The visit will offer the opportunity to pose questions for the representative. I have several that I am interested in: both liturgical and doctrinal in nature. Such as: "may a Catholic, according to the prescripts of c. 1248, lawfully fulfill his obligation to hear Mass on Sundays at chapels of the SSPX? If so, are there any conditions attached to that fulfillment?" I've found that there are arguments for both sides of this question amongst canonists, and am thinking of writing my Licentiate thesis on the topic. Of a doctrinal nature, several questions exist pertaining to the ecclesial status of the SSPX since the lifting of the formally declared excommunications of the four bishops a year or so ago.

So, I know that many of you who frequent this blog are devotees of the "Extraordinary Form" and would therefore be interested in various subjects relating to it. I make the offer: leave me a comment to this post with suggested questions you may have, and (with my discretion, of course!) I will take them with me to the visit.

The Home of Ecclesia Dei:

2 comments:

Fr. Matthew Hardesty said...

Ask them when they're coming out with the clarification document that they promised after the trial period with summorum pontificum. Or you could ask them to clarify what the obligation for seminaries is, or if a priest can rock a trid with a new saint like St. Maximilian Kolbe. Finally, you could ask where one could find a good pair of black shoes with silver buckle :)

Don Wachtel said...

Padre, I posted this on your blog post below by mistake. So here it goes again. ...
-----
Here is a far afield request if there ever was one, but one that is long overdue. Request that

Archbishop Levada at CDF (ex Holey Office) revoke the embarrassing and unjust Montium against Teilhard de Chardin.

If you care to take a look, I created a website several years ago about this great man of faith and science. http://tcreek1.jimdo.com/

Don Wachtel