Saturday, March 20, 2010

Thesis...

Although I have an entire year more of studies to go, I'm beginning to gather resources and to work on my thesis for the JCL. I have settled on a topic: "Canons 1246-1248: A Study of the Historical and Juridical Development of the Sunday Obligation." With the help of a friend and doctoral student, I came across a fantastic resource the other day which is going to help tremendously with the historical piece of my thesis. I was even able to order it online. It was published just a few months ago and will be saving me an immense amount of time having to go and translate many many pages of Latin from the various collections of source documents. This is volume one of a four volume set giving English translations of all the pertinent liturgical sources from various councils and authors of the first six centuries of Christianity. Stuff from the "sub-apostolic era" through Justin Martyr, Ignatius of Antioch, the Didascalia, Innocent I, Gregory I, etc etc. I'm probably more excited about this than I should be...

No comments: