Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Summer, in a Nutshell...

Besides spending my weekdays at the Tribunal, where I have set up my "Summer Thesis Writing Camp" (kind of like summer camp for canonists...), I have recently come upon a fishing hole here in Kentucky. If you've seen this blog then you know that I have taken up (lock, stock, and barrel) the leisure activity of fly fishing. One of the real bright spots of my time in Washington, DC (other than studying canon law of course...) has been my Fridays up fishing at the Gunpowder River in Maryland. It's a beautiful place (my "mental health getaway" during the school year). Sadly, I have been without such a place here at home. That was until this week. At the recommendation of a fly fisher here in the area I checked out Otter Creek, which runs through the Fort Knox military base, just south of Louisville. It's not quite the Gunpowder, but it has fish, and is a reasonably beautiful little stream. And, its only a 30 minute drive! After jumping through the hoops to get a fishing permit from the Army, I drove down Tuesday and spent the day exploring the new stream. While the largest fish I landed was only about 6-8", I caught a good number of them (I'm guessing a dozen or so) and the stream was quite serene. Take a look for yourself:







Here's my "Base Camp" at the Louisville Tribunal:



P.S. - What a great thing it was... applying for the fishing permit at Ft. Knox, they go over the map of the base to let you know where you are permitted to go and where you are not. A position on the map was marked in yellow and I was advised that permission to enter the area was never granted. The reason... UNEXPLODED ORDINANCE! Yeah, I'll be staying out of there.

1 comment:

Doc Hannon said...

Your readers might be interested in the most recent number of CHRISTVS REGNAT the journal of St. Conleth's Catholic Heritage Association in Ireland.

http://catholicheritage.blogspot.com/2010/06/christvs-regnat-june-2010.html

It can be downloaded here:

http://stores.lulu.com/catholicheritage

It would be extremely kind if you would post about our journal and link to or blogroll or follow our blog.

God bless you!