Sunday, February 13, 2011

CUA Southside...

The southside of the campus has always been a bit "ghetto," all things being equal. It has been remarkably so this year since the abandonment of Spellman and Spalding Halls (former residence halls for undergrads), just around the corner from where I live. Since last semester the buildings have been sitting vacant, and the place has gotten decidedly more Beirut-like: kind of like a scene from some post-apocalyptic movie. I hate to say it, but I almost miss the smelly little undergrads. Things used to be so lively in our neighborhood here. Well, walking to Mass at the Shrine this morning I took a glance up to see that the wrecking ball has finally begun its work on Spellman. I imagine that it won't be too long before it's gone.

Spellman Hall:


I guess that having been here for three years qualifies me to get nostalgic about the place. They used to call this neighborhood "The Little Vatican" because of all the religious houses nearby campus that housed the many priests and sisters who did their studies at the university. You can still see an array of religious habits walking around, but it's nothing like it was back in the day. I came across some historic photos from years gone by and thought I'd post them here. As you can see, parts of campus are really quite nice:

A religious procession across campus:


The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception:


Caldwell Hall, Home of the School of Canon Law:


The Statue of the "Sedes Sapientiae" Just Outside Caldwell Hall:


McMahon Hall:


Looking Past McMahon Hall to the Shrine:


The Library:


CUA Football, 1936 Orange Bowl Champs (Believe it or not...):


Some of Our Distinguished Faculty Members:

No comments: